WEEKEND ADVENTURES

On Saturday we headed to a little airfield on the edge of Dorset to see my Dad take to the skies in a vintage Tigermoth aeroplane; the 50th birthday present the whole family gave him last November. When we arrived we weren't surprised to see him decked out in full Battle of Britain pilot attire, complete with uniform, flying jacket, gloves, hat and pipe. That's my Dad for you.

Many moons ago I took Ben to meet my Dad for the first time, at the same airfield. He was given a similar gift for his 40th birthday and as we made our way there I prepared Ben once again about the man he was about to meet. About how it was very likely he'd be dressed as a World War II serviceman, would be likely to speak to him in a plummy English accent and would most definitely be pretending to smoke a pipe. I'm not sure how seriously Ben took me, but he soon realised that I was not exaggerating.

At our wedding two years ago my Dad, in his Father of the Bride speech, recalled the meeting. No joke, at that first encounter, when we were just 17, my Dad asked Ben what his prospects were and his intentions for his daughter. It's crazy to think that it was nearly 11 years ago...